Monday, March 26, 2012

Finding My Path

“Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverance.”
- Thoreau


A little under a year ago I was at a party and a friend asked me, "So, do you take pictures for friends or do you 'do' this?"
I replied for the first time, "I'm going to do something with it... yeah, I'm going to do this!"
There, I said it out loud.  I was going to chase my dreams, I was going to be 'a photographer,' marketing and all.
It's been an amazingly exciting year.  Exciting albeit a lot of hard work.
I feel so alive though.  It's amazing how alive you feel when you are chasing your dreams, how alive you feel when you are so vulnerable.  I mean I could fail at this, and I mean really fall flat on my bum.  But I think that's a huge part of why I feel so alive.  I'm not doing the safe thing here.  I've put myself out there for everyone to critique.  When someone asks me what I do and I say, "I'm a photographer," I've had to get used to hearing, "oh" with the look of 'yeah, right.  So is every girl who ever got a nice camera.'
For a long time I had nothing to show except for the pictures that I took for friends and family, and so I really didn't have hard evidence that I wasn't 'that' photographer that just took pictures for friends and family.
But the portfolio has grown, the growth is happening (and I hope never ceases), and I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER!  A bonafide photographer.
I have been for a long time, but for some reason, it's just been recently that I've had the courage to say it out loud.
best charlotte photographer


www.embytaylorphotography.com

No comments: