Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Our First Day

Well, today was suppose to be my first day back to school.  I am very much at peace (and actually very excited) about our decision for me to stay home with the kids.
Since the summer didn't really count because I would have been home with the kids anyways, today is the day I officially consider myself a stay-at-home-mom!
Our first day was a great one.  We are very fortunate that Daddy can work from home so we are all home together on some days.  Today was one of those days.  So we woke up, spent a little family time in our bed playing with Emma (who crashed our bed at around 7:30...we're not super early morning people here) and then we were off to Starbucks.
Daddy wanted to ride his new motorcycle so we followed him in our car.  We had coffee and pastries out on the patio and enjoyed the breeze in the shade (otherwise it would have been unbearable).
Then with running shoes and a soccer ball in tow, the kids and I went to the park.  Daddy had to get back to work :(
Drew decided after seeing the new permanent tent that they built over the play area, that he wanted to play on the slides instead of play slides it was.  He was running circles around Emma and I, racing up to the tall slide as fast as he could and climbing the rock wall (well, the climbing was with my spotting only) while Emma tried to "dust me" as much as she could. But I kept up.
Emma is fearless.  She was climbing up to the tallest slide, scaring me to pieces!  After about 5 minutes of being there, it was obvious that I couldn't just stay on the ground spotting her the best I could.  I had to climb up the apparatus with her and slide down the slides after her.  She had a blast.... I was exhausted!
Then we walked over to the pond on the wooden bridge.  We watched the turtles, fish, and dragonflies.  I really enjoy this time with my kids.  We do this quite often and it never looses it's "magic" to them.
Then we went for a little nature walk through the woods.  As we were  leaving the pond area a Zebra Swallowtail butterfly started to circle Drew.

It was so neat.  It made Drew a little nervous at first, but then I told him that he was just "checking him out."  Drew was more comfortable with that and invited the butterfly to come with us.  Yes, he actually asked the butterfly if he wanted to walk with us.
The butterfly did, as if he understood.  He followed us for about 100 yards.  It was so funny.  For that time, it was as though Drew had a pet butterfly, like he was some Disney character who enchanted the animals.
We went on with our walk, but as soon as we got into the woods, the Zebra Swallowtail was gone.
We looked for animals (but didn't find any) and then Drew was ready to go home.
When we got in the car, I was shocked to see that it was almost lunchtime already.
Time flies when you're having fun!

1 comment:

TJCrowell said...

I love this and miss those moments. I loved those moments of just pure happiness that I got to witness with the kids I kept. I now look foward to these times with my little Addisyn.