Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay...

Ok, it wasn't The Bay (we're on the opposite end of the country) and it's not exactly a dock either... it was more like sittin' on the pier of the Atlantic Ocean wastin' time, but it was good for the soul none-the-less. Not quite what dear ol' Ottis was writing about, we sure weren't lonely out there. There were tons of people with their families and friends fishin' the day away. We ran into one guy that had caught 2 baby sharks that morning, then on our way back up the pier when we passed, he said he had caught another. Colin said he was exaggerating, but you can't help but trust a guy that sounds so incredibly southern.... I believe he did.
As horrible as it sounds, there is something very comforting to me about the sights, sounds, and smells of leathery-tan men fishing and smoking cigarettes.... the kind of men that you can tell have spent their entire lives out in the sun both working and relaxing.
We had a great time out on the pier watching them fish for king mackerel. It was just as entertaining watching them fish for the bait. They would throw out these big nets when a school of fish would pass by and pull up what seemed like hundreds of little fish.
I didn't take my camera that day, so I don't have any pictures of that event, but I thought I would include a picture that I have from my grandmother's scrapbooks of my great uncle out on the beach with a pier in the background. I have no idea where this was taken, but who knows, I like to think it's the same pier.... wouldn't that be something!


No comments: