Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nap Time Luxuries

Ahhh..... naptime.  A stay-at-home Mama's respite.  I have really learned to take advantage of this time.  Some days it's necessary to get "work" done during this time, some days it's necessary to take the opportunity to even just shower if it's been "one of those mornings," but some days.... it's time for Mama to pamper herself.  Last night after everyone was in bed (Colin was out for a business dinner uptown at the Capital Grille), I decided to make myself some Cre'me Brulee'.  I figured "why not!?!"  It's simple, yet it makes you feel so spoiled.  So I scrounged around, had all of the ingredients (not that it takes much) and whipped it up.  
Well, that meant that today, there they were....staring me down in the fridge.  So I took one of them on and I won that battle (or lost terribly depending on how you look at it).  It was naptime, so I was able to just sit and enjoy.  Not that I mind sharing, but there's something soothing to the soul about enjoying a cre'me brulee' in absolute silence one slow bite at a time.  
Ahhhh.... naptime


Creme' Brulee'
8 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated white sugar (for the caramelized tops)

Preheat oven to 300ºF. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and pale yellow. Add cream and vanilla, and continue to whisk until well blended. Strain into a large bowl, skimming off any foam or bubbles.
Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins in a water bath (large pan filled with 1 or 2 inches of hot water) and bake until set around the edges, but still loose in the center, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled. Remove cups from water bath and chill for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days. When ready to serve, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard. For best results, use a small, hand-held torch to melt sugar. If you don't have a torch, place under the broiler until sugar melts. Re-chill custards for a few minutes before serving.

Serves 6

No comments: