Friday, March 13, 2009

Mountain Bike Memories

With this beautiful weather upon us (which I hear is suppose to go away for the next seven days...just when I was getting use to it), I've been thinking about how to take full advantage of the outdoors, which has lead me to remembering my mountain biking days. We had some great times. Colin and I were so committed to racing in 2006 and we traveled all over the Carolinas to do so. We raced the state series and the Charlotte series. So that ended up being about 2 races a week from March 'til October. It was crazy, but so much fun. We made some really great friends and got to travel all around with them. It was such a neat experience.
I also went on a great girls trip for a weekend up in the mountains. For those of you that know me well, this next part is going to really shock you. We stayed at a girl scout camp (it was sooooo cold and there was no hot water in the primitive bathrooms. There was a thin piece of plastic between me and the outside when I slept. Thank goodness for my extra cozy NorthFace mummy sleeping bag and the forethought of sleeping with my riding clothes in the bag with me so that I wouldn't have to put freezing cold clothes on in the morning). It was really beautiful. We stayed for two days and two nights. I'm not sure how many people went, I think between 40-50. It was great. We had a great meal the second night after riding (catered lasagna... the Dirt Divas really know how to do it up considering where we were and what we were there for) and a great bon fire afterward. We did a lot of hanging out by the lake too. It was such a great time.
I'm so proud of myself for working so hard. Like I said, Colin and I were really committed. We rode just about everyday that we weren't racing (the beauty of being in this area is that there are a TON of trails to keep the variety going). It's almost time to get back on that bike.... maybe even win a few more medals.


This is me getting my bronze medal after the Spartenburg race. These girls were locals and fierce competitors.
This is a mosaic of my fall trip with the Dirt Divas. We had a blast!
These are some of the great people that we met along the way. They really are great friends. I still keep up with them on Facebook. One day I'll be back out there.

This is a collage of the NORBA race that we went to. Colin raced this day on this trail. I did not however. I just enjoyed watching all of the pros. We got to meet our "biking heroes" and see a lot of cool gear that had not been released yet.... some of it never was (like the gold brakes).
My bragging corner. I know, I know, I'm not 10 anymore, but I have to have my bragging trophy and medal corner. I mean, how many times am I going to get to be the North Carolina State Champion and Charlotte Series Champ??? My guess is just that once.




No comments: