Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pay It Forward Thursday


Today the most incredible thing happened to us. Coming home from a play date with Peter over at Amy's, we were running late for lunch, so the kiddos and I went through the Chick-fil-a drive-thru for lunch.    I pulled up, noticed the very nice, expensive car in front of me and waited my turn.  I placed my order, and pulled up behind the car again at the window.  She was a very nice looking lady and I thought to myself, "Wow, nice life." Just a brief, fleeting moment. I didn't spend much time thinking about her (I had two kids with me, so not too much time for that), but I genuinely thought, how nice for her.
Anyways, she pulled off, nothing noteworthy so far, I know. But then I pulled up and offered my card to the lady at the window and she said to me, "The car in front of you paid for you."  It was so unexpected that I didn't even understand and I'm still trying to give her my card.  Then I asked her if she was serious and she said yes.  She gave me my food and told me to have a terrific day.  I asked, "so that's it?  I don't need to do anything else?"  And with a big smile, the lady said, "That's all Ma'am, have a terrific day."  
Wow!  I've never had that happen before.  The truly remarkable thing was that this lady who paid for our lunch wanted absolutely no recognition for it.  That part was so difficult for me.  For a girl who always writes thank you notes, I didn't know how to handle this part.  So this is what I've decided to do:

Pay It Forward Thursdays.  

This is my way of telling her thank you.  It is my commitment to do something unexpectedly nice for a perfect stranger once a week.  It does not matter whether I think they are deserving or not, after all, this lady had no idea what type of person I was and she still bought my family lunch.  The motivation is just to make someone's day, no thank you's or any recognition expected.
I would love for you all to play along.  Please feel free to use the artwork and post this on your blog and encourage your readers to do the same.  
Also, I would love to hear your stories as well.  Comment here and tell me your pay it forward stories.  You can leave a link to a post on your blog or just tell me about it.
Anyways, I hope it fills you with the same happiness and hopefulness that I get from it.

Have a terrific day!

1 comment:

jillybeans1984 said...

tune into 91.9 sometime...