Saturday, May 23, 2009

Gateway To Athens

We have this favorite restaurant that I love to go to. It's called Gateway To Athens. You know those places that you could eat at once a week for the rest of your life and still never get sick of it. Well, that's the way this place is for me. I LOVE Greek food, but this place is beyond love, it's wonderful.
Anyways, we were bringing Greek over to Lauren and Dave's the other night (more on that later), and when I went to pick it up there were all of these flowers and sympathy letters everywhere. Well, of course my heart broke immediately. I didn't mention it, but this is a real Mom-and-Pop type of place and the family that owns it is wonderful. It's the kind of restaurant you can really rally behind because you know they deserve to be successful. So my heart broke and I heard the granddaughter telling one of the other patrons that her grandfather over in Greece passed away of Leukemia. This by the way was the same day that I faxed my paperwork over to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society's Team In Training, ironically enough. It was one of those moments when I knew that God works out little plans for us too. There was a reason that this all happened on the same day. When it was my turn to pick up my food, I told her about my joining and asked if I could make him an honoree too. I know how hard it is to loose a family member to this disease, and I want to help as many people as I can through it.  She said she would like that and so I want to share his name with you all.
Epamindondas Kastanis was 91 and very well loved.  His granddaughter was very close to him but she is here looking after her younger brother and running the restaurant.  Her mother is in Greece now taking care of arrangements.  Please think of them and put them in your prayers.
And let me know any time you want to go eat at Gateway To Athens, because I would love to join you!!!!!

No comments: